Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NaNoWriMo Update


It started out simple enough: Write a novel in 30 days.  Break it down to 1,667 words a day.  Follow an outline.  Use dictation software.  See how far you get.

Well, I didn't get too far.  In fact, less than a week, 10,618 words, and three chapters later I abandoned my NaNoWriMo challenge.  Repetitive strain injuries flared up, and said, "Are you crazy?  Writing like this is not for one with chronic TOS, bursitis, tendonitis, neuralgia, and all the other aches and complaints working on a computer gives you, even with your little tricks like dictation software, and a pad and pencil.  Remember what the doctor said: Respect your limitations."

It's kind of what I expected.  I'm not too upset.  It was a good week.  I loved the adrenaline rush, the flow of words, the excitement when a character comes alive and a story line takes shape, the secondary character who demands to be much more, and the twist I didn't see coming.  It was great exercise, and reminded me of why I love to write in the first place.  The plan is to continue, although at a much slower rate, and perhaps in a few months I’ll finish my first draft of “Swim Season.” 

Here's to all the writing warriors out there, banging away on their keyboards, dragging the words out from deep inside themselves, bringing their stories to life.  See you next year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahh darn! Oh well, the fun is in the trying anyway. Now---I just have to wait a little longer for the book release of "Swim Season". Take Care! ~Sandy
http://free-alzheimers-support.com